Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

BREAKING THE CHAINS

I’m doing a little chain research and stopped off tonight at a local chain I have a lot of respect for.

That’d be Surf Taco. I tend to hit Surf Taco/Manasquan ex-post a buying trip to Spirit of ’76, a great wine shop just across the street. In the past, I have had better food at ST/Squan than I have at the other Surf Taco branches. Yes, I realize talking about Surf Burrito variation at Surf Taco branches is what many would describe as ridiculous. Have at it.

But tonight, I popped in at the Surf Taco in Point Beach and scored what I have to say is the best Surf Burrito of my extensive Surf Taco-eating career. The fish was wonderfully fresh and bulged from the soft flour tortilla. The cabbage was crunchy-crisp and the sauce just the right shade of tangy. The black beans were earthy and firm, yet soft – not mushy, not tinny tasting. It was a Surf Burrito as a Surf Burrito ought to be. To my mind, this is one of the primo fast foods on Earth. My heart soars every time I see a bevy of folks in their late teens and early 20s chowing down on Surf Burritos and their ST kin. When I was 23, I was weeknighting on junky salad bars so I could save pennies and hop into the city and pretend to be an adult at Le Veau d’Or. This generation just might know better.

Anyway, I always tell folks to take their kids to Surf Taco because you can get good food, including some good healthy food there. I don’t know if anyone ever listens.

If any of you are listening – or reading, I should say – tune in to the Food section tomorrow (Wednesday, Sept. 26). My cover story is on a woman who is an extremely gifted pastry chef – and she’s opened a sweet little shop in Atlantic Highlands. Read all about The Flaky Tart in the Press and check back to this blog tomorrow, since I’ll be posting some extras from my interview and my tastings.

Cheers,
Andy
9.25.07

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you eat at Surf Taco!
No reason to be ashamed about it and you aren't!

September 27, 2007 at 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If not chains, where do you bring children for food they will eat?

I think criticism of chains is common and I criticize chains too. But I would like options for those who have children of various ages with dietary restrictions that demand very large menus. The chains can please varied tastes within the same family, even though the food may not bevery high quality and preparations not as imaginative as some would like.

Not to critize the discussion, which is good, but I'm asking for giudance.

MOTHER OF 4, AGES 8 TO 17

September 28, 2007 at 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To mother of four,
REad Andrea's article on chains last Sunday and bring those children to Surf Taco. She is right that this is a local chain with quality food at reasonable prices. Plus the atmosphere at our Surf Taco in Manasquan, for example, is the kind that kids enjoy. Try it you'll like it.

October 11, 2007 at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home