Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, September 7, 2007

WHAT'S SWIMMING BY?


The Jersey Fresh folks issue an every-other-week seafood availability report. Here are the fishes listed as in "very good'' supply with "excellent quality'':

Atlantic croaker, daylights, flounder, ling, lobster, squid, swordfish, tuna and whiting.

In the farm-rised hard clams and oysters category, ditto for supply and quality:

Littlenecks, middlenecks, Cape May salt oysters and Delaware Bay oysters.

A message that matters: I've found my bumper sticker, and it's winging its way to me as I write.

While I was up in Maine last month, I saw a car in the parking lot of the food co-op in Belfast sporting a bumper sticker I had to have: "Who's Your Farmer?'' I couldn't find it in any local shop, so I did the Google thing when I got home. I should've guessed this one - it's a MOFGA product, meaning the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association, which is religion in Maine. I ordered a gadbillion of them from the MOFGA Web site and plan to spread them around these parts.

So what are you cooking/where are you eating this weekend? Sunday, I'm sure most of you know, is Kick-Off Day. Yeah, I know the Colts played the Saints last night, but there will be hours and hours of NFL grunts and smacks on Sunday, and there's no music I'd rather cook to. It's Kick-Off to Cooking Season for me.

cheers,
Andy
9.7.07

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy -- I am curious. I have seen the new ads for "Jersey Fresh" skim milk. We only drink skim at our house, but use other types for other things. Why only skim?

September 7, 2007 at 3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is kind of inane question, with NJ being next to the big ocean, plus we get all this reports about the fresh seafood picks at their best, yet the local shop-rites, pathmarks, a&ps, et al (maybe with the exception of wegmans and wholefoods), seem to offer no better than the selection in kansas! other than wooley's in howell, any other store/shack/grocery suggestions with a good seafood selection? I live in northern ocean county.

September 7, 2007 at 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BLUE CLAW FISHERY in SURF CITY on LBI, anonymous, an excellent fishmonger (across from Blue, the restaurant)...always good from Viking Village caught the same day.

As for eating, going to see Paula Deen on Sunday at Caesars as part of their "Cooks" series...Lidia will be there Oct 7 and Giada on Nov 18.

None of them are cooking demos - more Q+As and inspirational / motivational speaking style events.

Visit www.caesarsac.com for details.

I'm going to The Pier for Buddakan!

September 8, 2007 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Andrea Clurfeld said...

First, re: skim milk ads - I haven't seen them. I can only imagine that it's what the Ag folks are trying to sell.

Now, re: Great local fish - I never buy fish at supermarkets these days because no one who works behind supermarket fish counters ever is able to tell me where the fish they're selling is from. And when it arrived at the market. If a supermarket fishmonger wants to offer a rebuttle, tell me what you've got from which local waters and when it's coming in. I'd love to hear it.
So, where to buy? Fish markets that proudly proclaim what's local. In Ocean County, one of my favorite fish markets is Sally's SEafood, on Route 532 (aka Wells Mills Road) in Waretown. The folks there get great fish from lots of local fishermen.
Now, let me further advise that you should focus your fish-eating on what's in season - just like you do your produce-eating. That's why I'm posting this in-season fish info.

cheers,
Andy
9.12.07

September 12, 2007 at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home