Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, August 30, 2007

RE-ENTRY

I’m thinking next summer of putting a moratorium on my Down East BLTs, which are Bacon, Lobster and Tomato rolls. They are my version of Maine’s justly revered lobster rolls. Basically, they’re about lots and lots of fresh-picked lobster meat mixed with mayonnaise that’s been drizzled with the juice of tomatoes rubbed against a fine-mesh sieve. You take the residual juices and whip them with mayo. There are only a couple other tricks – I don’t chop celery stalks, for instance, but rather mince celery leaves and add them to the lobster salad. I layer a slice or two of bacon inside the top-loading hot dog roll (and you can find them in these parts if you look hard enough, made by Pepperidge Farm and called either New England-style rolls or top-sliced rolls), a very thin slice of ripe tomato and pile on the lobster salad.

This is all there is to it. But every time we have folks over to dinner when we’re up in Maine, they want Down East BLTs. I love them, but I also love making lots of different things. So I told Jay he’s getting something else next summer and I told Rob he’s only got one more year of Down East BLTs, then he, too, has to cope with something lobster-new. Alison and Melissa, having trekked this year from Houston and Vermont respectively to the little cottage on Penobscot Bay, still have a few years of Down East BLTs to go before they hit the no-more wall.

Not that I didn’t cook anything else. Greens – oh, oh, the greens from Chase’s! That would be Chase’s Daily in Belfast, part restaurant, part farm market. At 11 a.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, the truck from Chase’s Farm pulls up to the back door of Chase’s Daily and starts unloading. Bunches of mixed greens – amaranth, miner’s, kale, chard, feathery Asian leaves and more, more, all string-tied in the same beautiful bunches. Heirloom tomatoes, cups and cups of colorful cherry tomatoes, onions red, white and yellow, leeks, beans of all stripes – skinny and fat, Romano and thread-thin yellow. Herbs galore, potatoes, potatoes, potatoes, squashes, melons, bouncy heads of lettuce, berries – tiny strawberries, tinier wild blueberries. And flowers, which I never get around to buying, since I’m always at three shopping bags of produce and already short a hand. I manage to squeeze in a bread or three, baked by the Chase family, as well, and rush home to contemplate.

Oh, dear, and I also go to the farmers’ markets. It’s the same there.

So I have this fridge full of produce, counters laden with tomatoes-potatoes, and everyone wants Down East BLTs???? You understand my dilemma.

Don’t feel too sorry for me. This year I forced on folks a potato salad dressed in lemon-mustard vinaigrette and powered by lots of parsley. Potatoes, too, partnered with Ducktrap Farms peppery smoked mackerel. Greens, of course, stir-fried crisply and squirted with lemon juice, as they do as Chase’s. Beans blanched and dipped in all sorts of pungent things. Mostly it was thread-bare stuff – food that let the all the various vegetables to their own tunes. It was glorious. Yes, I had a few Whoopie Pies. Why not? And crab rolls and fried clams up at Bagaduce Lunch on the Blue Hill Peninsula. Of course.

But though re-entry is hard – have you ever watched a nearly full moon rise over Penobscot Bay, when Penobscot Bay is inches away? – I felt so, so much better this year about Garden State produce. The heirloom tomatoes at Clayton Farm and The Farm in Freehold Township slam-dunk the tomatoes I had in Maine. Twin Pond Farm’s Sicilian eggplant remains the champ. The wonderful island crops out at Hallock’s rock and rule. Used to be that I came home from Maine mourning the loss of what I was leaving behind. This morning, as I write this, I’m eager to set out to see what’s on the farms here right now. I know it will inspire me.

So I’m off and scouting. In the coming days, I’ll chat with y’all about some of the issues you raised in posts below (a chain restaurant where Jersey Freeze is now??? What???) and, if you’d like, talk more about Maine.

Right now, I’m hungry. Again.

Cheers,
Andy
8.30.07

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AC: You have the reach us mortals only wish they did in the court of public opinion.

Please talk to your business editor DC and look at both stories...

Get the word out to Rosie S from NJ Monthly and other NJ (Garden Plate, NJ Life, the other papers' food writers; rivalries aside, it's FOOD we all love and CONFORMITY we hate.)

BEFORE THE NEXT MEETING on 10/23,
Take that Freehold Councilman to task for saying "that's progress"; ask him to disclose if he owns stock in Darden or if any of the Freehold Borough Council or Twp councilmen have conflicts of interest with Bruce before they vote in terms of land ownership, development or construction deals.


Find a buyer for the liquor license to be transferred to - maybe Freehold Township has a little no a LOT of land across the street at the Freehold Raceway Mall for a restaurant, AMPLE parking, and other amenities...

Just don't let up on this...please.
We really need your advocacy, now more than ever.

PUBLIC - spread the word, FIND a rich uncle or real estate investor whom can afford the 1-2 million needed for the land, the building and the license.

don't let Monmouth County history be sold out to conformity and chains!

SAVE JERSEY FREEZE!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4517739035

August 30, 2007 at 10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Bruce Springsteen can buy it?

August 30, 2007 at 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are glad you are back and I (for one) would like to hear more about Maine. I miss your stories about your eating trips in the Press and particularly liked the ones from Maine and your travels abroad. We still laugh about your handbag strap getting caught under the footstool at the fancy restaurant in France. That was priceless. 10 years ago, right? I've been a faithful reader since college.

While the Jersey Freeze controversy certainly strikes a nerve with some, I'm not sure Andrea can do anything about it. It is not up to her to raise money. If the owners want to sell and make their dime, they're doing to sell and make their dime. Also it is not up to Andrea to try to tell the other writers what to do. Personally I admire the way she stays out of the low-class exchanges on the other chat sites and would hate to see her muddy her hands by starting up.

Andrea, I would like to know if your farm stories are done, as the summer is ending. We have enjoyed them and used them and the recipes as well. Thank you.

August 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I agree that we do NOT need another Olive Garden or Applebee or TGIFs or Chi-Chi or any of that ilk, I think the best way we can "vote" on this is to stop the Springsteen dramatics and tell the politicians calmly and plainly that we have enough franchise food around and we prefer original local cooking in our restaurants. That we will support locally owned restaurants and not chains.

If you are one of those who go to chains, then you are the problem, not Jersey Freeze. Stop the chain patronage and they'll stop coming.

August 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's no secret, Jersey Freeze has been for sale for at least 4 years now. Now it seems they have a buyer, just a shame that it has to be a chain restaurant. The opportunity to buy it has been there for a while though.

August 30, 2007 at 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the top-sliced hot dog rolls market under the name of 'Hot Diggety Dog'?

August 30, 2007 at 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jersey Freeze is no great loss. What's the big deal about local junk food?
What the bad part is, is that another same-old restaurant will take that location as opposed to something different and interesting. If you read Andrea's review of the Thai Chili and went like we did to try it, you might agree with me. Freehold could use a Thai Chili not another chain or junk food restaurant.

August 31, 2007 at 7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay people...

Andrea isn't being told what to do; someone whom obviously cares a bunch wants to bring attention to it.

I do love non-chain eateries - could you imagine Andrea would not even have a JOB if non-chains didn't exist?

That's probably the angle you all need to think of - WE appreciate the good food, wine, advice, etc and occassionally, yea, we disagree over her opinion.

But at least we have choices.

If chains come in and take away what little local identity we have, we may as well be in a place where chains Olive Garden reigns supreme...

Andrea, you've been quiet, but I sense an article coming.

August 31, 2007 at 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you ever consider a diners' roundtable discussion where you came in disguise and we ate and talked about food and wine in NJ?

August 31, 2007 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Andrea Clurfeld said...

A lot of questions here, so let me start and see how far I can get right now.

First, yes, yes, there will be more farm stories. I want to do something later this month on fall crops. I was at Twin Pond Farm this morning, talking to farmers Angelo and Evelyn DiGregorio, and Angelo was telling me how he plants a special crop of late tomatoes that he covers with material that protects the fruits as the weather chills. He gets real-deal fall tomatoes. So I want to check this out when the time comes, too. And when our local farmers' broccoli and cauliflower and fall greens come in, wow - well, I can't wait. So yes, definitely, more farm stories.

RE: advocacy for the comings and goings of restaurants. I can't do that. It's a conflict. Say I advocate for a certain kind of restaurant to come in where Jersey Freeze sits now. How can I then review it? Or a restaurant in the same genre elsewhere? I can't, so I'm not going to rally at meetings or kick up a fuss or implore other writers to join a "cause." You can. The Press does have an editorial page and you are welcome and encouraged to write to Editorial Page Editor Randy Bergmann to tell him of your thoughts. (He's on vacation this week, but he'll be back Monday - and I know he'll read everything sent to him when he returns, too. In the small-world department, Randy was my boss when I worked for The New Jersey Herald up in Newton in the early-mid-1980s, pre-Press days.) One other thing - what you all are writing right here IS being read by a lot of people. So keep on speaking out here.

(While I'm thinking of it: I don't know Hot Diggety Dogs! Were they a local thing?)

Like I said in my post today, chains pain me, they really do - but they're only here because they make money here. They're designed to fit espcially well in populated suburbsn towns, which is why you don't see them in, say, Shore boroughs with huge summer, but minimal winter, populations. What I can do about them is what I DO do about them - and that is very little. Meaning: I don't patronize them personally, I don't review them. (I did an Eat Out about Bonefish Grill in Brick because it was the first in the area and it claimed to feature local fish. I went and the servers said there was no local fish. I'm not going back.)

A roundtable? Hmm, let me think. I'm thinking. (I don't do the diguise thing; it's just too awkward. I'm very plain, I stopped wearing make-up years and years ago, I just think gimmicking myself up would feel too, oh, distacting, maybe silly. ) You see, THIS, this blog is our eating roundtable. That's why it's here - so we all can exchange opinions and ideas and, as a poster so beautifully said, disgree. (Especially with me and my bountiful opinions.)
P.S. I LOVE reading your opinions. I mean it. It's my favorite thing. You all make me happy and hungry.

OK, my dogs do need to be walked. And I need to check the Packers' Web site. I'm in complete despair over the running back situation. Is there a Cheesehead on this blog? I have a feeling I'm going to need a friend here this coming football season.

cheers,
Andy
9.3.07

September 3, 2007 at 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home