Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

DARK SIDE OF DESSERTS

Last night, as I ate the last of the puffy little pastries made by my friend Maureen, I realized my sweet tooth hadn't been the victim of a phantom root canal, just of badly made restaurant desserts.

Indeed, my sweet tooth was alive and very well, and most eager to eat and enjoy the custard-filled, light and buttery-textured squares Maureen had so graciously packed up for me. My, they were wonderful, very French in style and size, bitsy bites of ethereal pastry with a central swoosh of well-made eggy custard. Why can't a restaurant make pastries like these, I thought, instead of importing hulking boxes of the dread Dark Side of the Moon cake?

That's the pre-fabricated confection that did me in, you know. It was everywhere for the longest time and after I'd been served my 200th slice, I got spitting mad. I've pretty much been mad at commercially prepared desserts served in otherwise fine restaurants ever since.

Too bad Maureen isn't a restaurant pastry chef. But lovely for me she's such a generous friend.

What restaurant features made-in-house pastries and desserts that you admire?

cheers,
Andy
2.13.07

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just wondering if you have tried any of the authentic mexican food places in either Asbury Park or Bradley Beach - We have tried 2 that are very good - La Tapitia in Asbury Park & La Hacienda in Bradley Beach.
I am finding out that I am enjoying this type of food better that the tex-mexy stuff ( oh how I loved that for 25 years! )
Wondering your thoughts -

February 14, 2007 at 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

La Tapitia sucks!! I'd eat out of a dumpster before I went back there again. Besides, Asbury Park is a crime-ridden, open sewer that is best avoided at all costs.

February 20, 2007 at 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home