Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

SEEKING PEEKYTOE

Peekytoe crab is so Maine that I had to reach out and call someone I know in area code 207 as soon as I saw the words here yesterday. "How's the peekytoe up there?'' I asked, and was given an on-target Maine answer: "Heading down your way, I suppose.''

A poster asked about local seafood markets and, specifically, where to find peekytoe crab, which is a lovely, sweet-meat crab from Maine that used to be known only by its original names: rock crab and sand crab. The stuff never sold. After a Maine-based fishmonger slapped the moniker "peekytoe'' on the crab that'd been dubbed "picked-toe'' by locals for its pointed claw (in Maine, "picked'' is slang for pointed), chefs started buying the crab. Peekytoe sounds cute on menus, apparently. It tastes great in salads, that's for sure.

Anyway, knowing Doug Douty's Lusty Lobster, on Bay Avenue in Highlands, is all about Maine, I gave Lusty a call. They can get peekytoe, no problem, the folks there told me; just give them a call: 732. 291. 4100. Since Lusty Lobster, also a wholesaler, supplies seafood to a number of other fish markets, including Jody's Fishery, on Route 35 in Neptune, there's a good chance following their chain of distribution will reward you with peekytoe crab, too.

Please check it out and let me know how you do, oh peekytoe-seeker.

cheers,
Andy
1.31.07

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home