Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, February 2, 2007

SAYING CHEESE, AGAIN

Brett Favre is coming back to play another season for the Pack. He gave the scoop not to ESPN or SI or one of the networks, but to a local reporter at a paper in Biloxi, Miss., not far from where he was born. Score one for the millionaire who prefers shorts and a tattered old baseball cap to chic, slick duds.

Yes, this is the Eating blog. Sorry if I'm disappointing anyone who thought they might be reading about a terrific new cheese I've sampled, but this is big news in my life. I'm a Cheesehead. Why it took me so long to come to the only team in pro sports with cheese as its mascot is something that shames me; cheese, after all, might be my favorite food.

I realize this is a seriously minority viewpoint, but I've grown even fonder of the Packers as Favre has grown older, more introspective and less able to leap menacing linebackers in a single bound. I realize that, as we watch a Bears' Super Bowl this weekend and as Solider Field's denizens emerge in force, I myself might have to learn to leap menacing readers in less than a single bound.

OK. I'm going back to writing Wednesday's (Feb. 7) food cover stories. (Delicious foodstuffs at an Asian market and great tips from a great cook in Middletown will help you celebrate Chinese New Year's in style!) But I'm writing with a smile: The crazy-boy quarterback who we've watched mature into a pretty cool man is coming back. Can't wait to see him in September.

cheers,
Andy
2.2.07

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant to put this under the wine post. Hope you still see this. As a recent MU grad who even while in college enjoyed your matching column, with wines and recipes, I would like to see wines talked more about. My girlfriend and I go to BYO resteurants, for sushi regularly, and need recommendations for wines to bring to eat with sushi. Can you recommend the same kinds of wines and prices you used to write about. As we're not saki drinkers and my girlfriend prefers wine to beer, we would appreciate a list of good wines. Thank you.
Mike and Marli

February 3, 2007 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger Andrea Clurfeld said...

Hi Mike and Marli:

I, too, enjoy wine with sushi and do some funky pairings. I'll experiment a bit and get back to you later this week. Personally, I don't think it's as cut and dried as a stark, simple white wine with fish. So this'll be fun. Tune back in a few days.
cheers, Andy

February 7, 2007 11:32 AM

February 7, 2007 at 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home