Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

IN A SOUTHERN STATE OF MIND

I spent several days in Charleston and figure I consumed about 40,000 calories. I say this not because I’m a calorie-counter or a glutton, but because when you’re visiting for a short period of time a city where food is a central focus, you feel obliged to sample all you can. Especially, I guess, if you eat for a living.

You do two dinners some nights. Not two full dinners, but a handful of dishes at a 6 o’clock rez, then a complete lineup at your 8 p.m. seating. You have a major lunch and you also do a mid- or late-afternoon feeding. During my time in Charleston, I packed in an oyster roast, a jaunt to the country for barbecue, a soul-food repast and visits to five restaurants.

I’ll admit, I’m a bit worn out. But as I write this, I’m wearing my Sweatman’s BBQ (Holly Hill, S.C.) T-shirt and dreaming of those oysters I sucked down at Bowen’s Island, which justly deserves all the accolades it’s received – including a James Beard America’s Classics’ award.

After I got back here to the Jersey Shore, I tucked into Nancie McDermott’s “Southern Cakes” (Chronicle Books; $19.95). It’s got a coconut layer cake on the cover and dozens and dozens of cake recipes within. Southerners are serious about their baking, devout in their baking traditions, and Nancie not only documents the backgrounds of all the classic Southern cakes, but makes the how-tos seem conquerable for a truly bad baker like me.

One thing isn’t explained that well, however: I’ve bookmarked “Southern Cakes” to note the recipes I want to try (Hummingbird Cake, Buttermilk Cake, Pear Bread, Daufuskie Island Carrot Cake), but I’m waiting till the temperatures register true fall before I rev up my oven. It was 85 degrees with 90-plus percent humidity in Charleston when I was there. How can those kindly, warm-worded folks bear to bake in that weather?

Yet they do. Baking season is year-round in the South. I’ve got to tip my hat to those bakers. Especially the one who made the buttermilk pie at Hominy Grill in Charleston. Fine pie.

So what have you been up to while I’ve been gone? What/where have you been eating?

Cheers,
Andy
10.10.07

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Applause, applause if you did your job that well. Now tell us when your Charleston reviews will start appearing!

My wife and I went to Charleston June of 2006 and ate at MacGrady's, Peninsula Grille and an Italian restaurant whose name I cannot recall, though it was very good. MacGrady's was one of the most beautiful "old" restaurants I've ever encountered. Also excellent was the BBQ at Jim and Nick's, which we did not even realize was a chain. This is a chain that could teach chains how to do food business. It was made clear to us that all vegetables were from South Carolina farms and only served in season. When they run out, that's it. No freezer vegetables at Jim and Nick's. On our last day we went to the farmer's market right in the downtown and found our souvenirs right there. Charleston is a beautiful city.

October 11, 2007 at 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have friends living now in S. Carolina (from Brick) and they make trips to Bowen's Island Restaurant for their oysters and shrimp. Apparently that restaurant is not open often so you caught it at the right time.
Do you know of a restaurant in New Jersey that is similar and does oyster roasts too?

October 12, 2007 at 6:05 AM  
Blogger dahdah said...

We went to Isabella's in Asbury Park the other night, I had the worse Perciatelli all'Amatriciana I ever had, it was loaded with jalapeno peppers. I could not eat the dish, had my partner taste it and he spit it out. Returned it and had a salad. Got credit for pasta dish, they did not comp salad. The man at the front desk seemed annoyed with this and when we left he ignored us completely.

who put jalapeno peppers in that dish?
dah

October 15, 2007 at 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please share where Bowen's Island place is located in relation to Charleston and what their hours are if you know, AC, I will be most grateful as I will be going on business there next month to Charleston.

October 18, 2007 at 9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have come to accept that I live where fresh shrimp are hard to come by. And I don't understand why restaurants are allowed to call their shrimp fresh when they are not. And I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but why did you refer to Bayou Cafe's shrimp as "spanking fresh"? I enjoy your articles and sometimes try out restaurants because of them. But I was disappointed to read that description.

October 22, 2007 at 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surf taco does not use fresh fish. It is frozen. It is still good, I eat there often. But the fish is not fresh. Fresh fish has never been frozen. Just like the shrimp at all area restaurants. You lose some of your credibility when you say it is fresh. You should know better.

October 23, 2007 at 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Andrea...you've been MIA for 18 days or so...where did you go?

NIGELLA LAWSON IS COMING TO FREEHOLD on Monday November 5th at Barnes and Noble at the intersection of NJ33 and US9.

It's from 7-9pm and she will only be signing copies of her new book:

NIGELLA EXPRESS

Visit www.nigella.com/news to corroborate and to get more info on Nigella's visit - call the bookstore.

PLEASE consider running a profile or story on Nigella in the Sunday 11/4 Press! Thanks ever so much!

All her recipes ROCK and her show is on Sundays at 1030am on The Food Network...

Love, a Nigella Fan...

October 27, 2007 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where have you gone Andrea?

October 31, 2007 at 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where ever you are I hope you get a chance to visit a new cooking school in Fair Haven on River Road called Taste & Technique. Every tuesday they have a guest restaurant chef and on other days cooking workshops. We went and watched Joe of Joe & Maggie's cook and tasted his wonderful food. We will go back again.

October 31, 2007 at 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TONIGHT - NIGELLA LAWSON IS COMING TO FREEHOLD on Monday November 5th at Barnes and Noble at the intersection of NJ33 and US9.

It's from 7-9pm and she will only be signing copies of her new book:

NIGELLA EXPRESS

Visit www.nigella.com/news to corroborate and to get more info on Nigella's visit - call the bookstore a7 732-409-2929 - line starts at 5pm!



All her recipes ROCK and her show is on Sundays at 1030am on The Food Network...

Love, a Nigella Fan...

November 5, 2007 at 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrea,

Here is a snippet from your last APP Food & Dining column last Sunday 11/4/07.

‘So when a reader blasts me for not utterly adoring her favorite restaurant, I don’t assume that reader is a dolt who has undergone a taste-bud lobotomy. I accept the fact that tastes and ‘tudes that don’t please me may be pleasing to others. Nobody’s right, or wrong.’

This is one of the few things that you have posted that I totally agree with. As a true service to the people that read your column and as a way of showing respect to the hard working restaurant owners and chefs that your column mpacts, you should have something similar to this at the beginning of each of your reviews.

Sincerely, Chef-Steve

November 6, 2007 at 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHERE ARE YOU ANDREA?!?

November 12, 2007 at 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home