Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, March 1, 2007

NO SLEEP TONIGHT

This morning, I bought Calvin Trillin’s “About Alice.” I bought it to read on the plane, when I take a short trip late next week, but I already know what’s going to happen: The book will tug at me the rest of today and its lure will win out just before I turn off the lights tonight.

I’ll stay up till I finish “About Alice,” I know I will. I’ve loved everything Trillin has ever written. His food stuff is brilliant, wittily honest. But his writing is that way because he gets people so spot-on right. This book, about his late wife, isn’t going to leave me.

Have you read “About Alice”? Any Trillin?

Andy
3.1.07

2 Comments:

Blogger MA said...

Andy -- So how was the book? I got it from the library yesterday, but haven't started it. The NYT review was very good. It is not too long, so I assume you did not stay up too late.

I also picked up Climbing the Mango Trees, a memoir by Madhur Jaffrey. I am unfamiliar with much Indian cooking but will be interested in trying some of her family recipes found in the book.

March 2, 2007 at 4:48 PM  
Blogger Andrea Clurfeld said...

Thanks for writing!

"About Alice" was wonderful - Trillin always is - and I didn't even cry (hard) until the last line. Then I lost it, just lost it.

Madhur Jaffrey is such a treasure. I've not read "Climbing the Mango Trees" but your mention here reminds me of how much I want to.
I've cooked so many recipes from her books (I particularly love "Flavors of India") and I have to say, between Madhur and Julie Sahni, I've been richly educated in Indian cuisine and culture.

cheers, Andy

March 5, 2007 at 6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home