Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

RECEIPTS, NOT RECIPES TODAY

OK, I'm going to complain. Because I'm mad and wish I didn't have to take it any more. But I have to, and so do you, I'm afraid.

I routinely get overcharged for items I buy in the market. All the time. Recently, I was overcharged more than $27 -- that came on top of being overcharged $12-and-change the week before at the same supermarket. Last week, another market tried to charge me more than double for an item I regularly buy. The store manager got involved, he claimed the item in question absolutely was double the amount I usually pay, I challenged him, but I ended up asking to have the item put back and the charge refunded. This inconvenienced everyone in line behind me, embarrassed me and made me doubt how well the store is run.

The kicker? Since my name is on the bank card I use to pay for my purchases there, the folks know that I'm the gal who writes about food here at the Press. Well, today I read an e-mail from that same manager who tried to overcharge me, apologizing and correcting himself: I was right about the price and he was wrong. I wish he'd've said he was sorry to the poor folks who were forced to cool their heels behind me.

At least he apologized. When I have time to bring my store receipts back to try and prove I was overcharged, there are rarely any apologies. I'm made to feel as if I'm wasting someone's time. But I've been charged for 10 items when I bought only one, making a $2.99 purchase $29.99, had basic produce rung up as something far more expensive and fancy-pants, and had items I bought because they were on sale rung up as something definitely not on sale.

OK. Rant over. But I'll add one thing: Should I ever be undercharged for anything I buy, something that's happened a few times in my long food-shopping career, I always, but always return to the store to pay the difference. You know? My money's never been turned away.

Sigh,
Andy
2.27.07

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm shocked that you had not used a pseudonym all this time to write your reviews...

As far as being overcharged, most times they are quite apologetic...

(Do you think they knew who you were and were merely trying to get a rise out of you? Especially if this is a place where you've shopped regularly?)

February 27, 2007 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I happen to like bagging my own groceries, but I to forgo that when I shop alone, so I can watch the price I am charged for my items. Generally, the cashier will fix it, but I have had the occasion where it has turned into a major production with all getting involved. I agree with the previous poster - about using a pseudonym when reviewing.

February 28, 2007 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Andrea Clurfeld said...

To anonymous and to Lisa:

I never use my real name when I review restaurants. Never. I have written, on several occasions, that I hope anyone who works in a restaurant encountering someone claiming to be me, feels free to spill something sticky on the imposter.

This post was NOT about reviewing restaurants but, as I stated, shopping for groceries and being overcharged. Repeatedly. My hope is that the folks who load prices into supermarket computers will be more careful. Cashiers ringing up groceries, too. I'm certainly glad you folks have received apologies when overcharged. Where do you regularly shop for food?

A last thought: I can't wait for farm markets to open again this spring. I've never been overcharged at a farm market!

cheers,
Andy
2.28.07

February 28, 2007 at 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you misunderstood what we meant...

Lisa and I thought that you would write your column under a pseudonym - we figured you didn't reserve a table at Market in the Middle for Clurfeld at 9pm for 4...

that way, if your ID were "seen" by the supermarket, the cheese vendor, the farmer's market person or whatever, you wouldn't have to contend with people proferring their opinions upon you.

I'm a ShopRite shopper first and foremost - I also hit Kaufman's farmer's market on 524 across from the egg farm in Howell / Allaire (just west of the 195 exit)...

Delicious Orchards is a tradition, a magnet, to my foodnista ways...

The Cheese Shop in the OG is also a haunt...

Blue Claw Fish Company in Surf City (in season, across from Blue) is where I trust my fish will be freshest...

ooh, to have an Okie burger on the grill with cheese...

3 months til LBI...

February 28, 2007 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Andrea Clurfeld said...

Use someone else's name other than my own for what I say in print to the public?? No way, no how. I don't think that would be fair or honest.

When I shop, I really SHOP - I give the produce much more than a once-over, always ask where items are sourced when I go to, for example, Delicious Orchards, and never mind if someone who spots me hand-weighing a lemon asks me what I'm doing: Heavier lemons are juicier lemons and I'm happy to pass on that info. When my name is called out at, say, the vet's, and someone recognizes my name as the food editor of the Press, I do typically get asked questions about restaurants and recipes. I'm happy to answer. (Ask my vets - Beach Animal Hospital in Point Beach: I'm the chattiest two-legged client they have.)

I'm in this business because I believe sharing information that may be of use to others is a good thing. So if you meet me, stop me and start asking me questions, be prepared to be late for wherever it is you're going.

cheers,
Andy

February 28, 2007 at 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, are you by any chance married to Thomas De Seno? Is your madien name Burke?

Tom De Seno's Anti-Andrea Clurfeld Blog

March 1, 2007 at 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to keep an eye on the monitor while bagging to prevent overcharging. But it isnt always possible. However, I do like it that most stores have larger screens that give the item description and price in easy-to-see large characters.
I dont like it when they label the fruit with stickers. It causes bruising.
And the newest food stores are so big. The Wegman's in Ocean .. gargantuan. If you need only a couple items, wear your hiking boots ... big parking lots and 30+ aisles.
I shop at A&P in Little Silver because its small with fast check-outs. However, I do go to Wegman's occasionally for the organic candles.
Also, during summer hit the farm markets on Rt 547 Howell.

March 2, 2007 at 12:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

To anonymous - No, not married to Tom!

To Andrea - Don't think I knew you were a pet owner!
Cat? Dog?
I too am quick to strike up a conversation - would be thrilled if I ran in to you!

March 2, 2007 at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home